Plant Health Products (Pty) Ltd (PHP) is a leading producer of a range of biocontrol products for agriculture. The PHP production facility is based near Howick, Kwa-Zulu Natal.
PHP is looking for a Senior Bookkeeper to be responsible for the management of accounting and administration and to provide assistance to the General Manager and CEO.
Duties and Deliverables:
- Advanced knowledge of ZA bookkeeping practices, especially for a manufacturing business.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and regulatory requirements
- Working knowledge of the Pastel suite
- Check and verify accounting records
- Allocate and post financial transactions
- Reconcile and balance all accounts
- Collate and analyze account data and generate financial reports
- Track and maintain inventory records
- Maintain internal control systems
- Manage accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Prepare payments, and bank deposits
- Comply with relevant reporting requirements
- Full bookkeeping function up to Balance Sheet
- Assist with audits when required
- Maintain complete filing system to support financial records
- Assist the General Manager
- General administration work may be required.
- Applicants must currently reside in Howick/Midlands area
- Matric + Relevant tertiary qualification, either or – BCom or Dip in accounting
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in similar role.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment will be an advantage.
- Ability to work under pressure and experience in working to deadlines
- Fluent in English (verbal and written)
- Responsible and organized
- Attention to detail
- Computer skills including Microsoft office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Pastel Suite.
- Good references
This is a new position at PHP and is available as soon as possible. The hours are negotiable. The company remunerates at market related, experience and skill-related levels.
Please send CV’s and a letter of motivation to Kristy le Voy at firstname.lastname@example.org
The company reserves the right to shortlist suitable candidates for potential interviews. The company reserves the right to not fill the vacancy should a suitable candidate not be forthcoming.
What is biocontrol?
Biological control (biocontrol) is an environmentally sound method of controlling or suppressing pests and diseases using their naturally-occurring enemies or biological antagonists. These living organisms may be predators (predatory mites, ladybirds etc), parasitoids (wasps etc) or microbes (fungi, bacteria or viruses). Biological control is an important component of integrated pest management (IPM) programs. Biocontrol products are usually referred to as biofungicides or bioinsecticides, depending on the target organism.
What are bioinoculants and biofertilizers?
These terms are generally used interchangeably to refer to products containing beneficial bacteria, fungi and other natural substances that can be added to the soil to improve or maintain the growth of plants or the productivity of the soil. These are often naturally-occurring organisms and compounds that have been depleted from the soil as a result of modern farming practices. Biofertilizers and bioinoculants perform a broad range of functions, including the fixation of nutrients, protection from pathogens, production of bioactive compounds. The microorganisms in these products often colonize the plant’s roots and promote growth by increasing the supply or availability of nutrients to the host plant.
WHY CHOOSE BIOLOGICAL PRODUCTS?
- Environmentally Friendly
- Benefits crop quality
- Useful as a stand alone solution or as part of an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) programme
- No chemical residues or withholding periods
- Non-toxic and safe for workers and consumers
- Minimal effect on non-target organisms
Cavity spot caused by Pythium spp. is a significant disease in carrots, reducing harvest quality and resulting in major losses. Eco-T was tested for control of Pythium in carrots in the Western Cape, South Africa.Soil drench applications of Eco-T were compared to a standard registered fungicide and an untreated control. Eco-T treatment significantly reduced Pythium disease incidence and performed as well as the chemical fungicide. In addition, Eco-T treatment increased yield at harvest in comparison to the untreated control and the chemical fungicide.