Plant Health Products seeks to appoint a highly motivated research scientist to work in the
department of Research and Product development. The position requires a post graduate
qualification in plant pathology, microbiology or other relevant disciplines. The successful
candidate will work with a team of scientists to innovate biological control products for use in
the agricultural sector.
• Research of potential biological control agents including isolation and screening
• Microorganism culture maintenance and product development research
• Pot and field trials
• Data analysis and report writing
• Maintenance of insect, nematode and pathogen cultures
• Technical laboratory assistance
• Postgraduate qualification in related science discipline, work experience
• Laboratory experience required; sterile technique advantageous
• Ability to work in a team and good interpersonal relations
• Strong analytical, strategic and creative problem-solving skills
• Good project planning and organizational skills
• Excellent computer literacy and knowledge of statistics
Interested candidates to please send a CV and letter of motivation to email@example.com before the 28th February 2020.
PHP currently has a vacancy for a Technical Product Manager based in Howick, KZN, ZA
The product manager is responsible for the management of the PHP-developed and -produced products to meet global needs. This is a technical and marketing role. Knowledge of plant pathology, agriculture and the agricultural industry is important. This role includes close co-operation with technical and regulatory departments within PHP as well as marketing the products to subsidiary distribution companies within the Andermatt group. The product manager provides input for the market position and technical development of the products to support the implementation of sales strategies by Distributing ABC Companies. The applicant must have good interpersonal skills, a good understanding of the agricultural sector and be prepared to travel occasionally.
- Product Management: Responsible for the product management of the products to meet global needs.
- Acquiring an in-depth knowledge of PHP products
- Sharing this knowledge with the other subsidiaries within the Andermatt Group and training individuals within the subsidiaries regarding the products. On going technical product support, information sharing and other marketing inputs related to PHP products.
- Working with the subsidiaries to strategize and position the PHP products within the different agricultural crops and sectors in the different countries.
- Liaising with regulatory personnel
- Development of product financial plans and estimates of market volumes with marketers
- Building good working relationships with the personnel at the different subsidiaries
- Market knowledge and business strategy: Maintain up-to-date understanding of industry trends and technical development that affect the market for the products.
- Customer needs: Working with Distributing Companies, understand customer needs and ensure the development of effective products and services. Consolidate information concerning product performance, customers expectation, intelligence on competitors and trigger product modification.
- Forecasting and production scheduling. Liaising with Distributing Companies and manufacturing sites. Provide up to date, accurate forecasting for production planning
- Cost of Transfer Pricing: provide transfer pricing for the Distributing Companies.
- Post graduate degree in agriculture or related natural sciences.
- At least 3 years work experience in a related field.
- In depth knowledge of Excel and Microsoft Suite
- Strong organization and project management skills
- Good people skills.
Please send a motivational letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 14 February 2020
What is biocontrol?
Biological control (biocontrol) is an environmentally sound method of controlling or suppressing pests and diseases using their naturally-occurring enemies or biological antagonists. These living organisms may be predators (predatory mites, ladybirds etc), parasitoids (wasps etc) or microbes (fungi, bacteria or viruses). Biological control is an important component of integrated pest management (IPM) programs. Biocontrol products are usually referred to as biofungicides or bioinsecticides, depending on the target organism.
What are bioinoculants and biofertilizers?
These terms are generally used interchangeably to refer to products containing beneficial bacteria, fungi and other natural substances that can be added to the soil to improve or maintain the growth of plants or the productivity of the soil. These are often naturally-occurring organisms and compounds that have been depleted from the soil as a result of modern farming practices. Biofertilizers and bioinoculants perform a broad range of functions, including the fixation of nutrients, protection from pathogens, production of bioactive compounds. The microorganisms in these products often colonize the plant’s roots and promote growth by increasing the supply or availability of nutrients to the host plant.
WHY CHOOSE BIOLOGICAL PRODUCTS?
- Environmentally Friendly
- Benefits crop quality
- Useful as a stand alone solution or as part of an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) programme
- No chemical residues or withholding periods
- Non-toxic and safe for workers and consumers
- Minimal effect on non-target organisms
Cavity spot caused by Pythium spp. is a significant disease in carrots, reducing harvest quality and resulting in major losses. Eco-T was tested for control of Pythium in carrots in the Western Cape, South Africa.Soil drench applications of Eco-T were compared to a standard registered fungicide and an untreated control. Eco-T treatment significantly reduced Pythium disease incidence and performed as well as the chemical fungicide. In addition, Eco-T treatment increased yield at harvest in comparison to the untreated control and the chemical fungicide.