What is Eco-Bb (Bb-Protec)?
- Concentrated wettable powder formulation of the beneficial fungus, Beauveria bassiana which infects and kills various agricultural insect pests.
- Broad spectrum of efficacy. Eco-Bb is effective against a wide range of pests and pest life stages including eggs, larvae, pupae and adult.
- Registered for the suppression of red spider mite, whitefly, Fall armyworm, False codling moth, and Tuta absoluta.
- OMRI certified. Natural product approved for organic use.
- Safe, non-toxic and no with-holding period. Residue free.
- May be used right up to harvest when pest control options are limited.
- Use as a stand-alone preventative pest control product or in an IPM program.
Mode of Action
When Beauveria spores come into contact with the insect, they attach to and penetrate through the ‘skin’ or cuticle. This is achieved by the physical growth of the fungal mycelium aided by enzymes such as chitinase. Once inside the insect, the fungus grows and multiplies. Death is caused by internal tissue destruction and may be aided by toxins produced by the fungus.
Eco-Bb (Bb-Protec) is suitable for field and tunnel use, providing oil coated, UV protected spores effective against various stages of the pest life cycle. The formulation prevents the fungal spores from drying out and becoming deactivated under field conditions that are less than favourable. It also enhances penetration and infection of the insect or mite pest. The particular strain of B. bassiana utilized in this product was isolated from soil in Clanwilliam in South Africa and so is adapted to hot, dry conditions.
The product can be applied as a full cover spray or drench into soil. It is mixed at a rate of 1 g/litre water and applied every 7 to 14 days at a rate of 300–900 g/ha, depending on spray volume, crop, growth stage and pest severity. Wetters or other adjuvants should not be used and the use of broad spectrum fungicides should be avoided for at least three days before and after Eco-Bb applications.
Product Use Registrations
South African Registration Number: L8469
Eco-Bb is registered for the suppression of whitefly, red spider mite, Tuta absoluta, False codling moth and Fall armyworm. Anecdotal evidence indicates efficacy against weevils, wireworm, thrips, termites, ants and many more.
See product label for more details.
While ongoing trials and experiments are being undertaken on various plant and pest combinations, product application registrations will vary from country to country. Please consult with your local specialist or government department for compliance with applicable laws regarding specific use.